NMGF BIG GAME APPLICATIONS DUE MAR. 17 – The New Mexico Game & Fish Department is accepting applications for 2021 hunts. The deadline to submit NMGF big game applications is 5 p.m. Wednesday, Mar. 17, 2021.
Did you know that RMEF & partners recently donated over $500K to New Mexico elk habitat?
NMGF Big Game Resources
A few important resources provided by NMGF are:
- Applying for Big Game Hunts in New Mexico
- Draw Licenses and Fees
- Hunting License Requirements & Fees
- Draw Info, Odds & Tips
Applicants are encouraged to review season dates, application deadlines and other information before applying for licenses or going afield. The application deadline for bear and turkey permits is 5 p.m. Feb. 10. The deadline to file your harvest report without a late fee is Feb. 15. The application deadline for NMGF big-game licenses is 5 p.m. March 17.
Application Process Tips
Follow #HuntNM21 to stay up to date.
NMGF will be hosting online meetings every week to discuss the 2021-2022 big game draw. Topics include how to apply, options for hunter education, the hunter mentor program and how to read the draw odds report. Over the next few months, NMGF biologists will be on hand to answer species related questions. Register online.
Schedule, Registration and Links
- The Rules and Information Booklet (RIB). Jeremy Lane, public information officer, talks about reading the RIB.
- Youth Hunting. Youth under 18 years of age MUST take hunter education before going hunting, but hunter education is good for everyone. Join Jennifer Morgan, hunter education coordinator, to learn the ins and outs of hunter education.
- Where to start. Are you ready to apply but don’t know where to start? Join Ross Morgan, public information officer, to learn about the process and ask questions to help you get started.
- The Draw Odds Report. Join Kevin Rodden, SW area biologist, to learn how to read the report and how to use it for your benefit.
- Meet the Biologists (Jan. 27) – Casey Cardinal, resident bird biologist, and Rick Winslow, bear and cougar biologists, answers your questions about applying for the Bear and Turkey Draw as well as over-the-counter opportunities.
- Meet the Biologists (Feb. 3) – Orrin Duvuvuei, deer program manager, answers questions about applying for and hunting deer in New Mexico.
- Meet the Biologists (Feb. 10) – Travis Zaffarano, elk program manager, will be on hand to answer questions about applying for and hunting elk in New Mexico.
- Meet the Biologists (Feb. 17) – Tony Opatz, pronghorn biologist, will be on hand to answer questions about applying for and hunting pronghorn in New Mexico.
- Meet the Biologists (Feb. 24) – Nicole Tatman, big game program manager, and Austin Teague, SE area biologist, will be on hand to answer questions about applying for and hunting ibex and Barbary sheep in New Mexico.
- Meet the Biologists (Mar. 3) – Caitlin Ruhl, bighorn sheep program manager, will be on hand to answer questions about applying for and hunting bighorn sheep in New Mexico.
- Youth Hunting (Mar. 10) – Learn about the Mentored Youth program and small game hunting opportunities in New Mexico. Jennifer Morgan, hunter education coordinator, and Casey Cardinal, resident game bird biologist, will discuss opportunities and answer your questions. Register at
Each session will start at 6 p.m.
NMGF recommends applying early. DO NOT wait until the last minute to apply.
Application assistance is available virtually. Message NMGF on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or TikTok. You can call the Department’s Information Center, toll-free (888)-248-6866. Expect extended wait times when calling the Information Center.