Since the beginning of April residents of Hailey, Idaho have been seeing a large mountain lion within city limits. Hailey, Idaho is in Blaine County and is in the central part of the state.
The first indication that they may have been a mountain lion in the area was when several reports came in telling officials that pet cats were going missing. From that point, several residents have reported seeing a large mountain lion in one of the city’s neighborhoods. IDFGD officials worry that with several sightings and the reports of missing cats that this mountain lion has now begun using the neighborhood as a hunting ground. As a result, IDFGD officials will now begin setting up traps around the Hailey neighborhood.
Officials would like residents to check the area surrounding their homes and outbuildings, and make sure there are no areas around their homes that a mountain lion could hide in or use as a daybed. be sure to check under decks, mountain lions in the past have been found under decks. Likewise, you should secure all outdoor garbage, garbage can attract animals that mountain lions prey on.
Below we will list a few tips on what to do if you encounter a mountain lion.
- You should NEVER run away from a mountain lion. The lion’s instinct is to chase and ultimately catch what they perceive as potential prey.
- SLOWLY back away while maintaining eye contact with the lion.
- Use Safety equipment, this can include bear spray, a noise device, like an air horn, and if you walk in the dark, a very bright flashlight.
- You should NEVER turn your back on a lion. Always face them while making yourself look as large as you can. Yell loudly, but don’t scream. A high-pitched scream may mimic the sound of a wounded animal.
- Lastly, if you are attacked, fight back!