WILDLIFE BOARD APPROVES EXPO TAGS – The Western Hunting and Conservation expo is one of the biggest hunting expos of the year. It’s one that we look forward to personally here at Ehuntr, and it’s one that many hunters look forward to each year. As part of the expo, the Utah DWR gives out many expo tags for coveted hunts across the state. These tags have to be approved by the Utah Wildlife Board.
If you’re like us, we look forward to putting in for the expo tags each year. The expo tags cost $5 to enter, and there are many to choose from. The lottery is simple. Everyone that purchases a $5 tag gets put into the pool. The division draws a random name from the entries, and the person whose name they draw receives the tag. It’s a simple process, but it is something that many hunters look forward to each year. It gives hunters another hope of obtaining the tag of their dreams.
“The expo permits not only provide a great hunting opportunity, but the funding from these yearly allocated permits has also led to the enhancement of thousands of acres of crucial habitats and the completion of important research to help us better manage big game populations in the state,” Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Wildlife Section Chief Covy Jones said.
2024 Tags Approved
Each year the Utah Wildlife Board comes together to approve the tags that will be available in the expo drawings. The 2024 tags have been approved, and they will be similar to previous years. The animals included in the tags will be:
- Mountain goat
- Desert bighorn sheep
- Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep
- Black bear
There are some slight changes to the tags that will be given out. Those changes include:
- Beaver, East unit (one mid-season, any legal weapon)
- Book Cliffs, Bitter Creek/East unit (one mid-season, any legal weapon)
- Central Mtns, Manti unit (six mid-season, any legal weapon)
- Central Mtns, Nebo/San Pitch Mtns unit (one mid-season, any legal weapon)
- La Sal, La Sal Mountains unit (one mid-season, any legal weapon)
- Mt Dutton unit (one mid-season, any legal weapon)
- Panguitch Lake unit (one mid-season, any legal weapon)
- Plateau, Fishlake/Thousand Lakes unit (two mid-season, any legal weapon)
- Plateau, Fishlake/Thousand Lakes unit (one late-season, any legal weapon)
- Southern Region
If you’re able to make it to the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo in 2024, be sure and apply to these special tags. You can’t win if you don’t enter.